Replacing in binary files
Many applications (e.g., Microsoft Word) use proprietary binary formats to store your documents. Aba cannot reliably replace text in such files because they typically include absolute offsets and other internal counters. The replacement may turn the binary file into an inconsistent state, so you will not be able to open it again.
That's why Aba excludes these files from search. At your own risk, you can try to replace text in binary files.
Warning: You should keep backups when using this feature. Your files may be corrupted after replacement!
When the length of the original text is equal to the length of the replacement, you will usually succeed. For example, replacing
2010 in a binary file is usually safe (you still need to be careful!).
To perform a replacement in binary files:
- Step 1. Make a backup copy of the files you want to change. Aba will keep its own backups, but it's better to have another copy for extra safety.
- Step 2. Select the binary files in Explorer, right-click them and choose Aba Search and Replace from the context menu.
- Step 3. Enter the text to search for and the text to replace to.
- Step 4. The occurrences in binary files are unselected by default. This behavior is by design. Press Select all to select these occurrences or select them one-by-one.
- Step 5. Press the Replace button. Aba will warn you that the replacement in binary files is dangerous.
- Step 6. View the replaced files. If you cannot open a file in the program that created it, you should undo the replacement.
This is a page from Aba Search and Replace help file.
- Welcome to Aba
- Getting started
- How-to guides
- Selecting the files to search in
- Inserting some text at the beginning of each file
- Replacing multiple lines of text
- Searching in Unicode files
- Replacing in binary files
- Performing operations with the found files
- Undoing a replacement
- Saving search parameters for further use
- Removing private data
- Adding or removing Aba from Explorer context menu
- Integrating Aba with Total Commander
- Integrating Aba with Free Commander
- Integrating Aba with Directory Opus
- Regular Expressions
- User interface
- Command line
- Version history